Questions comparing languages or classifying them into categories based on their linguistic features
Typology concerns comparing languages and classifying them based on their structural and functional features.
- any comparison of two or more languages based on their features
- any attempt to classify given languages based on these features
- morphologically (e.g., analytic vs. synthetic, etc.)
- syntactically (e.g., based on SVO word order)
- morphosyntactically (e.g., nominative-accusative vs. ergative-absolutive)